Monday 21 May 2012

CAL Episode 3: Body and legs

'ello again, crochet bunnies.
Lovely to hear from so many of you about how you're getting on with this little project and great to see your photos in our Flickr group too. 
I'm also super-relieved that the instructions have made sense and the photos helped too.

Right, I know you're itching to get on, so pros- your instructions are at the bottom, everyone else, read on.

Just to remind you, this pattern is worked in rounds in a continuous spiral of stitches. Use your stitch marker to mark where you began each round.

Stitches and abbreviations:
I use US crochet terms, so single crochet here is the SAME as UK double crochet.

Chain (ch)
Single crochet (sc) 
Stitches (sts)
Decrease (dec) 

Ok, so we left our heads with 5 scs.

CAL 2

We are going to carry on from where we left off and work the body and one of the legs as one continuous piece.  

Round 1
2 sc in each sc (10 sts)

Remember what to do? 
Make 2 single crochets into each stitch around. Remember to move your stitch marker to show where the first stitch of the round is. 

Round 2
(1 sc, 2 sc in next sc) repeat around (15 sts)

Make 1 single crochet in the first stitch (stitch marker in) and then make 2 single crochets in the following stitch. Repeat around.

Round 3
(2 sc, 2 sc in next sc) repeat around (20 sts)

Make 1 single crochet into the first stitch (stitch marker in). Make the 2nd single crochet into the next stitch and then make 2 single crochets into the 3rd stitch.
Repeat around.

Round 4
(4 sc , 2 sc in next sc) repeat around (24 sts)

A bigger increase here, so make 4 single crochets and then 2 into the 5th stitch. Repeat around.

CAL 2

Rounds 5 - 12
Sc 24

NOTE: If you would like to add a little crochet skirt to your creation, then on round 8 you need to single crochet in the BACK LOOPS ONLY.
This will leave you with a round of loops in your work- see pic. 

Image from Fotolr Photo Studio HD!

We will use these loops later (trust me, this isn't any more difficult than anything else you have done so far)

Mouse

I also changed colour on round 9 to give my mouse some white underwear!! 
Optional, of course.
To change colour, make the beginnings of your next single crochet as usual, but stop when you have 2 loops on your hook. Leave a length of yarn and cut it. Now make a slip knot with your new coloured yarn, put it onto your hook and finish off your single crochet by pulling through a loop of new colour and completing the stitch. Carry on with the pattern.

Round 13
(4 sc, dec 1) repeat around (20 sts)

We just need to reduce the stitches a bit here, to shape the bottom of the body.
So make 4 single crochets and then squish the next 2 stitches together in a decrease. Here's a reminder: 

Insert hook into next stitch. 
Yarn over, pull up a loop. ( You will have 2 loops on your hook)
Insert hook into next stitch.
Yarn over, pull up another loop. ( You will have 3 loops on your hook)
Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops together.

CAL 2

Ok. That is the body 'done'. You'll need to stuff it now. Make sure you push the stuffing into the neck too, otherwise you'll end up with a floppy head.

Next, you need to flatten it (squash between your fingers) and close it with 10 single crochets.
You need to make sure your stitches end up at the side of your Monk/Kat/Doll, or you'll end up with wonky legs.
See where my round has finished in the pic below?

Image from Fotolr Photo Studio HD!

I just did about 6 scs until I reached the side.
Do the same with yours and make a few more single crochets until you're at the side too.

See the stitches below?  

Image from Fotolr Photo Studio HD!

We just need to join the pairs with 10 single crochets (the first and last one are always a bit tricky, just do your best).

CAL 2
CAL 2

Done? Now for the legs (don't cut the yarn yet!)

Have a look at your marvellous handiwork. We will be making the first leg by turning the work and single crocheting around the FRONT LOOPS only of the first 5 stitches.
Don't panic!!!!
T'is all easy.

Round 1

First, turn your work. You need to make 5 single crochets in each of the FRONT LOOPS of the first 5 stitches. You will be working from right to left.

CAL 2

[Rather unhelpfully, I realised that this photo was taken before I had turned my work. Therefore the arrows are pointing at the back loops at the moment. Once I turn my work, these will become the front loops.]

This photo shows making the first sc in the front loop:

Image from Fotolr Photo Studio HD!

Ok. Now turn and make 5 more stitches in the new front loops.

CAL 2

Image from Fotolr Photo Studio HD!

See? Easy!.

Rounds 2 - 25
Sc 10
Stuff as you go and remember to use your stitch marker.

CAL 2

(if you are making a doll and want to change the yarn colour for shoes, then make your colour change at the beginning of round 25)

Round 26
(1 sc, 2 sc in next sc) repeat around (15 sts)

Rounds 27 and 28
Sc 15

Round 29
(1 sc, dec 1) repeat around (10 sts)
Finish stuffing.

Round 30
(Dec 1) repeat around (5 sts)

Stitch closed. 

CAL 2

I hide the thread end by poking the needle back up through the middle of the leg and snipping off. 

CAL 2

End hidden.

Now for the other leg. You need to put a slip knot onto your hook and make your leg in exactly the same way as before. Just make sure you work across the front of your creation from right to left. This ensures you have the 'right' side of your work on the outside.

Follow the instructions as before and BINGO! - A 2-legged-creation all of your own. 

CAL 2

You can hug him/her now and look forward to making arms, ears and all other bits very soon.

As before, PLEASE ask me any questions and let me know if something seems wrong.

And do join our Flickr group and post your pics.

Well done again and I'll see you in a week....!
Xx


Written Pattern:

Continue from the 5 stitches you have on the head.

Round 1 
2 sc in each sc (10 sts)

Round 2
(1 sc, 2 sc in next sc) repeat around (15 sts)

Round 3
(2 sc, 2 sc in next sc) repeat around (20 sts)

Round 4
(4 sc, 2 sc in next sc) repeat around (24 sts)

Rounds 5-12 
Sc 24
If you want to make a crochet skirt for your creations then on Round 8 you need to single crochet in the BACK LOOPS ONLY.

Mouse

This will leave you with a round of loops in your work which we'll use later.
I also changed colour on round 9 to give my mouse some white underwear!! 
Optional, of course.

Round 13
(4 sc, dec 1) repeat around (20 sts)

Stuff

Next, you need to flatten it and close with 10 single crochets -make sure your stitches end up at the side of your Monk/Kat/Doll, or you'll end up with wonky legs. (Just make a few more single crochets until you're at the side.)
Don't cut the yarn- we will carry on from here.

LEGS.

Round 1
Turn your work. Make 5 single crochets in each of the FRONT LOOPS of the first 5 stitches.
Turn again and make 5 more stitches in the front loops again. 

Rounds 2-25
Sc 10
(Stuff as you go) 

Round 26 
(1 sc, 2 sc in next sc) repeat around (15 sts)

Rounds 27 and 28
Sc 15

Round 29
(1 sc, dec 1) repeat around (10 sts)
Finish stuffing.

Round 30
(Dec 1) repeat around (5 sts)

Stitch closed.
Fasten off.

Repeat for leg 2.

CAL 2

As before, PLEASE ask me any questions and let me know if something seems wrong.

And do join our Flickr group and post your pics.

Well done again and I'll see you in a week....!
Xx

13 comments:

  1. OMG................I wish I had loads of time to spend on this one....I will one day.
    Can't wait to see you on Monday. What time you comin'? After school drop off?
    May not have time to bake cake as away all weekend. Will see how time goes!
    Will opt for a shop one if I run out of time.
    x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Body and one leg done! It's late so leg number two tomorrow I think. It's looking good so far!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow honey, you have put such an incredible amount of effort putting this tutorial together - it's absolutely amazing. I'm running behind as it's been nutso here but I fully intend to catch up very soon. You make it all look so easy (I'm sure I'll still manage to stuff it up somewhere along the lines - I always do!!). Probably the combination of being blonde and a lefty perhaps?

    Have a fab week hon and thank you again for being so fabulous!!!

    Leah
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so sweet to share this fantastic tutorial. I have just shared it on my facebook wall for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial. I think it's beautifull.
    Saludos desde EspaƱa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gutted that I've not had time to join in the CAL. I've had tons of hat orders (which is a great thing) but I need to get them made before I can make some fun things :) I promise I will be making one of these glorious monks/dollies one day soon though. Thank you so much for the instructions xx K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi hon, after nearly 3 weeks of not touching my crochet hook I had a few minutes yesterday so decided to try get stuck into your tutorial. It's fantastic hon!!! This one is going to be a cat and has already been claimed by Miss 5. I have never tried anything like this before because they looked so tricky - but you've made it seem so much easier - thank you!

    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Annaboo
    I am your newest Follower.
    This tutorial among other things on your blog are sooo tempting. What wonderful makes!

    I'll be back in pretty soon because I just must make one of these.
    Thanks for this :-)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I confess, I've had a busy week and haven't started!! But I did go and buy some spiffing wool to make my kitty :-) I'm starting on Monday, my birthday (shhh! don't tell anyone I'm 40, euch!) as I have a fair on Sunday and a huge to make list for then. I'll be caught up by next week and look forward to having a super fabulous kitty to cuddle :-)

    Have a great weekend in the sun my lovely!
    Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial! So glad I found your blog! love Katie @ booty-full things x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't join you in the CAL yet, but hubby has time off to do some decorating this week, which means I'll be spending more time than normal with my feet up while keeping the whippets out of the way. And I need to hone my crochet skills, and your tutorials make it look so easy ... I'll be back with yarn and hook in a day or two methinks :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. do you have a spot you want us to share our results for the CAL?

    LoriRuth

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so leave a comment or ask a question and l'll reply to you right here.
Have a fab day.
Sarah Xx